Friday 1 June 2018

More Napoleonic Austrians 1/72nd or 20mm? Italeri, Airfix and Strelets

Dug out  my old Austrians,  still waiting to see combat :( I picked up a few RSM figures ( proper 20mm) and was curious to see how they compare to the Strelets and Italeri stuff I already have. These are battalions of converged grenadiers and I need one more base to have the  numbers needed for Leipzig. I was reading some post s on TMP  about  20mm and 1/72nd being imcompatible. Now , I have freely used  old ' 25s', plastic 23mms and  20mm interchangeably without concern since I can remember. I'm well aware that soldiers come in all shapes and sizes and with due regard for  some unit's height restrictions , there probably ought to be a little more height variability  on the wargames table. as for the variability in equipment sizes at various scales - I've never noticed any issues. some manufacturers might make some kit  a little larger  or smaller that it should be, but unless your comparing the largest against the smallest renditions of a particular item,  i don't see  much scope for glaring issues. Comparing a 1/72 scale tank against its HO/OO cousin will show a genuine disparity and perhaps they should be kept within a single scale, but then they are much less variable within a type than the men that use them.


I think these are Kennigton figures. They're definitely the smallest of the figures at proper 21mm foot to top of head. If they were 1/72nd, that would make each man a fraction  of an inch under 5ft. No good for the grenadiers maybe , but passable for the infantry?


These are the Italeri ( I think) 1/72 grenadiers. At 23mm they would roll in at 5ft 5 inches! That's shorter than me! If we measured them based on 25mm representing 6ft 4in (for the very tallest of troops) then the 23mm scale out to  5 ft 10in ( perfectly acceptable for a grenadier and the regular infantry reach a lofty 5ft 4in, again fair enough for me and certainly no reason not to use them together.




Strelets commanders measure in at a lofty 23mm, hardly giants compared to the Kennington figures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment